Sunday, July 29, 2012

When You've Just Lost Your Mom, Not All Computer Stores Are Created Equal [aboutcomputer99.blogspot.com]

When You've Just Lost Your Mom, Not All Computer Stores Are Created Equal [aboutcomputer99.blogspot.com]

Question by paddy.ryan: Does a computer store pictures once connected to a digital camera and all the pictures are viewed?? I have just returned from interrailing around europe. I viewed the photo's in Picassa and Windows Picture viewer. I tried to import them using Picassa. My laptop ran out of charge along the line and all photo's on the memory card were deleted, and no picture transferred to my computer. I have since left the card into a photo store, but are the pictures in temp files or some where?? Best answer for Does a computer store pictures once connected to a digital camera and all the pictures are viewed??:

Answer by disruption_grey
I would definitely send feedback to the google team if this is the case. The originals should never be deleted until the copies are complete. Fortunately there is software out there that can recover the pictures after they are deleted off a camera. If you leave picassa running it will continually index your hard drive and should find them if they are out there somewhere. I would check the picassa forums for more info http://groups.google.com/group/picasa

Answer by tigerrrgrrl
Get Sandisks Rescue Pro software. Photos aren't actually deleted until something is written over them.

[computer store]

A new computer store is opening up in Brandon and will not only sell new and refurbished computers, but also be the only ones in the Wheat City that can take your E-waste for recycling. Brandon Computers owners Danny Tayler and Jon Walker said the ... New computer store recycles e-waste

I will never forget the day in 1995 when I got a phone call from Houston, telling me that my mom had committed suicide. The moment I heard, it was like I stepped outside of myself and thought "I'm going to be very upset. I am in shock now but I am going to be falling apart soon. I had better do as much of what will need to be done before this really hits me and I can't do anything." I arranged my flight to Houston. I packed. As I packed my laptop computer, I had the strange thought "what if my computer dies on this trip? I better bring a backup of the hard disk." I actually made and packed a backup of the hard disk. That is the only trip I have ever taken where I did that. It is also the only trip I ever took where it turned out I needed such a backup.

The next day I was in Houston at my mother's house, and turned on my laptop to look up numbers of relatives and friends and start making a string of calls I dreaded making. My computer attempted to give me a reprie ve from the task. It died while booting. It would not boot. My grief was starting to set in, but I was still competent, so I started phoning computer stores, seeking one that could put a new hard disk in my laptop and restore the backup I brought with me. Most of the stores I reached didn't' do their own in-house repairs. Some said they could do what I needed within about a week. I didn't have a week.

Finally I called a new store called Micro Center. I asked if they did computer repairs in their store. They did. I asked to speak to the person in charge of repairs. A man answered the phone, and I told him that my mother had committed suicide yesterday, and that I had flown to town and my laptop died while booting. I told him that I needed to call relatives for the memorial service, and asked if there was any chance that someone could work on my laptop within a day or two. He put me on hold and got the store manager.

When the store manager picked up the phone, I to ld her the story. She told me to come down to the store right away and ask for her. I was at the store 20 minutes later, and she brought me back into the technician area. She took one of the computer technicians off the job he was doing and asked him to see if he could boot my laptop. She took another technician off what he was doing and asked him to start restoring my backup of my contact files to one of the computers they had there in the shop. She told me that if the first guy didn't get the laptop fixed in short order, I was welcome to make calls from there until he swapped out the disk and restored my backup to the new disk.

Within 30 minutes the first technician fixed the boot problem. It was some problem in the CMOS, and he had fixed it unbelievably fast. I wasn't even going to need my backup disk. They wrote up a service ticket and I thanked them from the bottom of my heart. I went and stood on line at the cash register, expecting to (gratefully) pay somewhere between $ 50 and $ 100 for the half an hour that two great technicians just spent helping me.

The lines at all the registers were long. I guess there was a big sale that day. I'm not sure. Those types of things were not in my awareness that day. After a few minutes on line, I got to the cash register, and handed the girl the piece of paper the technicians had given me. She looked at the paper, and then at me, with a confused look. "There's no charge," she said. "It's warranty service." Tears came to my eyes. I thanked her. On that day when it seemed no one could give me anything that mattered, someone had.

A couple of years later, a Micro Center store opened in the Boston area, less than 10 miles from where I live. You can bet I was one of their first customers. And from the experiences I have had in shopping there for the last 10 years, I would say that the amazing service I got the day after my mom died was and is not out of place in the culture of that compa ny.

Micro Center now not only sells all the major brands of computers, and it not only finds and offers the best accessories at the best bargain prices, it also now sells a line of its own desktop PCs, with the best service plan in the business, and price/performance ratio that is better than any other national brand. So now that you have read this, make sure your next computer-related shopping trip is to Micro Center. You will be glad you did.

More When You've Just Lost Your Mom, Not All Computer Stores Are Created Equal Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment